Why Mixing Bleach With Hot Water Is Dangerous To Disinfect

The disinfectant power that bleach has to kill viruses and bacteria is well known by all, but, however, we do not know its correct use. In these moments, in which cleaning is essential to fight against diseases caused by COVID-19 among others, we are going to analyze how we should use bleach to be really effective.

The first thing that we must take into account are the precautions that we must take when we are going to handle this product since it can be irritating and even corrosive in some cases. Therefore, you must use gloves, adequate ventilation and always use the amount recommended by the manufacturer, among other measures.

Dilute it only with water

One of the main mistakes we make when using bleach is mixing it with other products chemicals such as ammonia, alcohol or vinegar, among others. This mixture can be very dangerous since it can give off toxic gases that are harmful to health if we inhale them and, in addition, it cancels the disinfecting power of bleach.

Another big mistake is to think that if we dilute it with water it will lose its effectiveness. Fake. The recommendations of each manufacturer regarding dissolution with water are equally effective in terms of disinfection. In fact, our advice is always dilute bleach with water, especially those of high concentration.

Bleach water

Always in cold water

It is another of the principles that we must learn. If we heat the bleach we can cause a toxic, corrosive and irritating compound called chlorine gas. From 30 degrees this compound begins to form, so we should never mix bleach with hot water. In addition, in hot water it loses its disinfectant effectiveness as the chemical compound that forms household bleach breaks down.

Clean the surface beforehand

As we have indicated, bleach disinfects. It kills bacteria by breaking the chain of molecules and their cell wall into small units, as well as the viral envelopes of viruses. It also destroys their proteins and genetic material, killing microorganisms and disabling them to produce disease. Therefore, our recommendation is that first clean the surfaces with a damp cloth or cloth and the product you usually use to remove accumulated dust or dirt, and then wipe with bleach to disinfect.

Ideally, clean the cloth with tap water after each use to re-impregnate it with the bleach solution.

Use it right away

If you are one of those who leaves the mop bucket full of bleach water for days to use it at another time, in addition to the unpleasant smell that is generated, we must tell you that this bleach will have lost all its effectiveness, which only lasts a few hours This is due to the fact that, with the passage of time, the chemical compounds that have been formed in the solution of water and bleach gradually decompose. If we also expose it to light, the decomposition will be much faster than if we conserve the solution in a closed, opaque container, yes, avoiding glass or metal that would also accelerate the loss of efficiency.

In the marking there are more and more disinfectant products with and without bleach approved by the authorities to kill viruses and bacteria, many of which are available in our supermarkets.