Where is a Faith of Life certificate requested?

A Certificate of Life and Status Certificate is a document that can sometimes be very important, because it shows that indeed a person is alive and, therefore, at the level of public administrations, continues to enjoy all the rights and benefits that may correspond, including receiving a pension of any kind.

As the Ministry of Justice points out (@justiciagob) It can be requested by any citizen who needed it either by request or to start a certain procedure. Due to the characteristics of the certificate, whose objective is to corroborate its own existence, it will have to be requested in person and, whenever possible, by the interested party.

faith of life and status

When can it be necessary?

The main purpose of this certificate is avoid picaresque that, as we know, sometimes makes some people want to take advantage of the benefits or financial aid that someone who has passed away, usually a relative, enjoyed. Although there are fewer and fewer, cases of improperly charged pensions are not exceptional.

Social Security (@info_TGSS) may require, at a specific time, the Faith of Life, both when making the request to obtain a pension, and at later dates. Whenever it is required, it must be presented to avoid risk of suspension of payments. The document is essential in the case of retired elderly people who reside abroad and receive a certain benefit. In this specific situation, they must submit it annually during the tthree first months of the year to continue receiving it regularly.

The Faith of Life may also be necessary to be able to keep some bonuses, especially those referring to supplies such as electricity or gas, which have been granted to a particular person (not to a family unit). Inheritance cases, in which it is not known whether a possible heir, perhaps a resident abroad, is still alive, may also demand the presentation of this document.

Finally, it must be remembered that the certificate serves to corroborate marital status, something that in certain situations of marriages between people of different nationalities may be necessary.

Life certificate to collect the pension

Where and how is the procedure carried out?

The Civi RegistryThe corresponding to the domicile of the interested person is responsible for issuing this certificate which, in most cases, is obtained on the fly, although it will always depend on the operation of each Registry.

As the Madrid City Council explains (@MADRID) with exceptions. It is a procedure that must be carried out in person (Unique Civil Registry in the case of the capital) It is the interested party who will have to declare before the person in charge of the registry or, by delegation, before the justice of the peace of the domicile, about your identity and marital status.

If you have been requested a Life Certificate, you only have to go to the corresponding Registry offices with a document that identifies you (DNI) and, if necessary, with the Family Book. In most of these public bodies, for the processing no need to make an appointment but it does not hurt to confirm it, because it depends on each one of them.

It must be clarified that the document declares, only with presumption value, the marital status, taking into account that the declaration of the interested party who claims, at that time, to be single. There is no “married” life certificate because this circumstance is credited with a marriage certificate in which there is no entry in the margin that specifies the situation of separation or divorce. Obtaining the certificate is free.

In the case of pensioners residing abroad who need to obtain the Life Certificate because they are preceptors of a pension, the procedure is carried out in the consulate correspondent.

Life certificate when you cannot go to the Civil Registry

What happens if you cannot go to the Civil Registry?

As we have said, this is a procedure that does not have major complications, but especially in the case of elderly people, hospitalized or who have a disease that hinders or prevents their mobility, the problem may lie precisely in the necessary displacement that implies obtaining the certificate.

It is a situation that occurs relatively frequently and in which it is possible for one person to request the Faith of Life on behalf of another. To obtain it, you will also have to present yourself at the corresponding Registry, providing a copy of your ID and another of the identification document of the applicant who cannot go to the offices. In addition, the presentation of a medical certificate that proves the impossibility of the interested party to appear. This receipt must be recent, not exceeding a maximum age of 15 days. Any other document that demonstrates the inability to dispatch may be useful.

In these cases, some registries also require that if the person being certified resides in a municipality other than the place of issuance, the corresponding registration form be provided.