You don’t have to be an expert on the subject to see firsthand that when you don’t sleep well and your body hasn’t had enough rest, the day it presents isn’t usually the best day of your life. Insomnia is a health problem Which affects more than 15% of the population, according to experts from the Spanish Sleep Society (@Society_SES), a worrying figure considering the essential function that night sleep fulfills in our life cycle.
As the Spanish Society of Geriatrics and Gerontology recalls (@seggeriatria), as age advances, sleep patterns change, but although short naps during the day begin to form part of daily habits, a good night’s rest is still essential for an older person. There are many causes that can cause not all the desirable rest, but if one of them is a mattress, which no longer fulfills its function in an ideal way, changing it is a simple priority that can be reported. multiple benefits.
8, 10, 12… how many years does a mattress last?
They do not have an expiration date, but even the best quality suffers the logical wear and tear of time. In addition, the duration of the mattress will depend on two important factors: its use, more or less frequent or sporadic, and also the maintenance care you have received.
Although each manufacturer usually indicates the useful life estimate of your product, as a general idea, the Organization of Consumers and Users (OCU @consumers) considers that a mattress of good quality and properly preserved, can last in optimal conditions for a few 10 years.
Of course, there are very clear signals that warn of the convenience of the change even before the planned date. Among the most important, which you should take into account, the following stand out:
- Deformation. A mattress that does not have a uniform surface, but, on the contrary, it shows sunken areas or “suspicious” protrusions (a spring out of place) must be replaced as soon as possible, no matter how much you may have “got used to” its shape full of irregularities.
- Allergic reactions. Late allergies, which appear after the age of 60, are not something exceptional. If you notice that, for a few months, when you go to bed you develop allergy symptoms (sneezing, nasal itching, watery eyes …) the problem may be in the mattress. It is also possible that the mattress, perhaps due to improper maintenance, has become a favorite place for the proliferation of mites, in which case, it needs a deep cleaning or perhaps, if it is already a few years old, the time has come for a change.
- Pain. It is the clearest warning. If you do not suffer from any pathology that causes painful symptoms during the day you are well, but, after the night’s rest, you wake up with generalized discomfort or with perfectly localized pain (especially in the back), perhaps the cause is in that mattress that is no longer the most suitable for you.
How can the condition of the mattress affect your health?
There are many models of mattresses and it is important to find the one that best suits your needs. Springs, latex, memory foam … the most important thing is that this support, on which you rest for so many hours, maintain the natural alignment of the spine, without causing tension in the cervicals and without forcing “curves” due to the presence of sunken areas.
The elements designed for night rest (mattress, pillow and base) must form a perfect tandem that makes it possible to comply with the recommendations of the World Health Organization (@WHO_es) that advises sleeping at night an average of 7 – 8 hours. With an inadequate mattress it will be somewhat complicated.
Neck and / or back pain, muscle discomfort (cramps), breathing difficulties that are accentuated at night … there are many ailments that could improve with a mattress in optimal conditions, all without forgetting that some studies relate the lack of rest repairman with a worsening cardiovascular health.
New mattress: basic measures to keep it impeccable for longer
Once you have purchased the mattress that best suits you, taking into account important aspects such as the material in which it is made and its hardness level, you have to put into practice three simple tips that will help you keep it in good condition, so that it can provide you with a good rest for many years, for example:
- A washable cover it will increase its durability in the simplest way.
- If your mattress has two different surfaces (summer – winter) remember flip it in an opportune moment. Each of them is finished in a different fabric (cooler and more ventilated or softer and warmer) so that you can rest better taking into account the ambient temperature.
- Remove from time to time the possible dust particles or dirt, either with a soft brush or a narrow-nozzle vacuum cleaner.