Exercising to stay in shape is essential for anyone and especially recommended for older women. As the World Health Organization, it is appropriate that “adults 65 and older spend 150 minutes per week in moderate aerobic physical activity, or some type of vigorous aerobic physical activity for 75 minutes, or an equivalent combination of moderate and vigorous activity”.
However, this is not always possible, either because of the laziness that can appear when going for a walk or going to the gym, or because the weather does not help (going outside in winter to exercise is usually more complicated) . If this happens, there is only the option of exercising at home and one of the devices that help to carry it out, even the most lazy, are the pedal riders.
What are pedalers?
As you know or imagine, these devices consist of a pair of pedals that work like a small exercise bike and that can be used while doing other recreational activities such as watching television or even reading. They are especially suitable for the elderly because the movements that require they are very natural and they are not harmful if the wrong position is adopted. Likewise, they also facilitate rehabilitation for those who have suffered an injury or are recovering from an operation.
Main benefits of a pedaler
As we have just pointed out, pedal users are indicated for those who cannot perform very sudden and powerful movements. It’s more, facilitate leg play in such a way that they move naturally, helping better blood circulation. To this must be added that people who tend to lead a sedentary life, will be able to do some sport, which will have an impact on greater weight control and reduction of cholesterol levels. Ultimately, the advantages offered by pedalers could be summarized as follows:
- Joint mobility is improved.
- The muscles are gradually strengthened, since the resistance can also be adjusted and made greater.
- Blood circulation and venous return are stimulated.
- Avoid swelling of the feet.
- It benefits people with high blood pressure.
- Increases aerobic capacity, since exercise, however gentle, forces the respiratory system to work.
As with any other product, there are various types of pedallers, in order to adjust to the different user profiles. Of course, in general we could divide them into two: manuals and electrical. As you might suppose, the former only work through the force that the user prints on them. On the other hand, the electric ones have a motor that can control the movement, avoiding extra efforts, especially for people who are in a rehabilitation process or have very weak limbs. However, these devices can also be used manually. To do this, you just have to disable the motor and start pedaling.
When deciding on one or the other model, it is advisable to take into account some parameters to acquire the pedal machine that best suits the characteristics of those who are going to use it.
- Comfort is key when you are going to use it, so you will have to test it beforehand in case you find any impediment in its use.
- Check all resistance levels With which the device has to know if it is what you need or if, instead, you should bet on a higher level model.
- The size must be appropriate both for your feet and for the game played by the legs. Therefore, take into account what the pedals are like and even if the pedal pedal is too big to be used in the room where you plan to place it.
- Like the size, the weight is another factor that you must weigh. Keep in mind that we are talking about small and portable devices. So the most advisable thing is that you can handle them easily and transport them from one place to another without encountering difficulties.
- What use will you give It is another aspect that you cannot ignore. There are those who even have the option of exercise arms and shoulders, so think carefully about the objective you have set and get the model that best suits it. To be sure, you can always ask the professional who is selling it to you, as they can guide you to find what you need.
In addition to all the above, when you use a pedal machine at home you should know the following:
- Although you can use it as much as you want (or for your legs to hold), the minimum should be about 25 minutes a day.
- Take care of your posture that you are going to have while you use it. This will depend on the model, but what is clear is that the lower part of your back will have to be supported so that the lower back does not suffer.
- The seat you use when you start pedaling should be stable to avoid any unnecessary mishap.