It is very likely that you have seen these devices in stores or at the house of a friend or family member and you have asked yourself “will they be useful?”. It is also likely that you have already tried them and loved them (or not), but there is no doubt that foot stimulators can be not only pleasant, but also beneficial for the elderly.
What are foot stimulators for?
The main functions that these products have and that they carry out to a greater or lesser extent, depending on its design and quality with which they are made, they go through giving rest to tired feet, improving the state of calluses and chafing, gradually improving a bad footprint, massage the most painful areas and, in general, relax the user. After all, the feet are what sustain us throughout the day and, therefore, are exposed to constant efforts, so it is advisable to take care of them daily.
Likewise, it should be noted that although these stimulators act in the same way for people of any age, they can be more effective for the elderly, since their ability to recover from fatigue is lower and we are talking about devices capable of reactivate blood circulation and draining the area when excess fluid is produced that leads to swollen feet (something very common in the elderly).
On the other hand, it should be noted that foot massagers are largely based on the precepts of foot reflexology, which is defined by Deusto Health as follows: “A therapeutic technique based on the point stimulation on the feet, called reflex zones. These reflex zones correspond to different parts of the body, so by indirectly or reflexively massaging them (hence the name of the therapy) the organs, muscles or other parts of the body receive a healing stimulus. Of course, in addition to this reflex effect, there is a very important and useful local effect on the feet to treat and prevent many foot problems “.
When and how to give yourself these massages?
These products must used with some assiduity. It is useless if you buy them or give them to you and use them only a few days so that later they end up in oblivion stored in the closet or under the bed. If we want any treatment to work, we must be aware.
As for the most appropriate time to give yourself a relaxing foot massage, without a doubt, it is at the end of the day, when your limbs are most tired. The massager will help you relax before going to sleep, which will cost you less To fall asleep.
Types of massagers
As you may have seen if at any time you have considered buying a foot stimulator, there are several types on the market, from some that are very basic, to others that offer hydromassage. The main ones, according to foot massager.net, are the following:
- Roller style. This is one of the most basic models, as it consists of a roller that includes balls prepared for massage that the user must step on and move through it. In the movement of going back and forth, the feet will be relieved of pain and less tension they have.
- Shiatsu style. We already entered the electric massagers with this type that performs pressure and traction for a certain time, imitating the massages that are performed with this oriental technique. It usually has balls that execute movements in circles. Obviously, not all teams will be the same, so those with more balls and greater ranges of movement will be the most suitable and valuable.
- By vibration. As their name suggests, they use the vibration of the surface where the feet are located to relax both the sole and the rest of the limbs.
- Hydromassage. They consist of small bathtubs where the feet are inserted. Once there, they receive water springs that massage the key areas to achieve total relaxation. They are the most common, since water also provides a pleasant sensation.
- Acupuncture style. As we have previously pointed out, these devices have a great relationship with foot reflexology, where there are pressure points to be stimulated. The same goes for acupuncture. Hence, there are devices that work based on the specific points that exist on the sole of the foot, taking into account this common practice in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Pressotherapy. In this case we are talking about massagers that work with air compression, that is, the user introduces the feet into cavities that inflate and deflate as the treatment is carried out. There are some that even heat the area, since this way the massage is more effective and blood circulation is improved.
Finally, it should be noted that if you are going to buy one, it is best that you ask a specialist so that recommend the best choice for your particular case. However, all of them are usually characterized by being very simple to use, so it will not be difficult for you to get a better rest for your feet.