Order is always fundamental in our daily life, we always try to keep clothes, kitchen utensils, books in order … but what about the refrigerator? On many occasions, the purchase is put into it in any way and that can lead to problems of intoxication and loss of nutritional properties without losing sight of the fact that some product can even «get lost» in the disorder and cause food to be wasted.
Therefore, the experts of the Spanish Federation of Food and Beverage Industries (FIAB) gives a series of recommendations on how to order food in the refrigerator and which are the most suitable containers for it.
Structure of the fridge
These are the FIAB’s recommendations:
- In the upper part of the fridge you should place already cooked food, for example some stew that you have prepared to eat the next day or canned food that you have left over.
- In the central part, dairy products, yogurts, cheeses …, sausages and eggs.
- At the bottom, raw meat and fish, generally perishable products, and those foods that you want to defrost.
- In the drawers, fruits and vegetables.
- At the door, drinks of all kinds, including milk, jams, sauces or butters, mainly.
In general, it is recommended that you put first those foods that you are going to consume before. And also, to store in the fridge it is better to use closed containers, they advise from Aecosan. In fact, once we open a product, if we have left over, the ideal is to store it in the refrigerator in a glass lunch box or jar with a hermetic lid.
It is also important to remember that the ideal temperature for the fridge should be between 0 and 5ºC, and that of the freezer must be -18ºC.
The freezer should always be clean, like the fridge, and if possible without frost. Today’s refrigerators have technology that prevents it, but if you have an old refrigerator, you should defrost it every so often to remove this layer of ice.
It is recommended that in the freezer there is a coherent order and that the packages with the food keep a distance. Storing them in portions helps them to freeze earlier, and it is advisable to label them with the date of freezing to keep track.
We must avoid saturating the freezer so that it works properly and cools evenly. For this reason, it is also necessary to try not to introduce hot food since they destabilize the temperature of the rest of the products that are inside.