Brushing our teeth can mean spending 18 liters of water, take a bath 300 liters and put the washing machine up 80, as published by the Aquae Foundation. These are surprising figures since we are not aware of the amount of water that is needed for our day-to-day activities, but if we are interested in reducing its consumption, both for economic and environmental reasons, we must start thinking about it. Water is a scarce commodity and we don’t have to wait for dry spells to avoid unnecessary consumption.
The World Health Organization (WHO) says that between 50 and 100 liters of water per person per day are necessary “to ensure that the most basic needs are met and few health concerns arise,” according to United Nations, who remembers that By 2025, half of the world’s population will live in water-scarce areas.
In the case of Spanish households, we consume an average of 136 liters of water per inhabitant per day, according to the Statistics National Institute. A figure somewhat higher than recommended, but efficiency and savings are instruments available to everyone, as well as the rule of the three r’s: reduce, reuse and recycle, since the manufacture of new products also involves a waste of water that recycling could avoid. The production of a single cotton T-shirt requires a consumption of up to 2,720 liters of water, according to a report by the Water institute.
How to do it on a day-to-day basis
– Close lThe taps when you are not using them, when brushing your teeth or washing the plants, for example, since you will save 10 liters per minute.
– Do not use the toilet as paper bin.
– Use the shower instead of bathing.
– Repair the taps or cisterns of the toilets that leak water because it can represent 30 liters of water a day. Or install flow regulating devices on the taps, reducing consumption by up to 50%.
– Use the washing machine or dishwasher with the Full load and use the savings program.
– Water the plants by the morning or evening, to avoid evaporation, and collect the rainwater in buckets, which will allow you to take advantage of it
– Do not pour products toxic in water.
– Think carefully if an item of clothing is dirty before washing it.