As today many of we have conversations via WhatsApp, one of the best ways to avoid misunderstandings is to save the messages from our chats. Although these are actually stored every day in the memory of our phone, there is the possibility of exporting them and having them out also in case something happens to our mobile or we are going to change devices. It is possible because this system maintains a sync with Google Drive which is where these contents are going to be stored when you take the steps indicated below.
Make a backup
On the one hand, if you want to make a backup of all the conversations you have to take the following steps:
- Go to the Application menu (top right, the three vertical dots next to the magnifying glass).
- Then select Settings / Chats / Backup, and then click on Save.
Export WhatsApp messages
This case is to save an individual chat or conversation. To do this you have to use the function called Export Chat. You have to follow these indications:
- Go back into the application and within the chats choose the messages from the conversation you want to extract.
- Go back to the Menu and click More.
- In the drop-down that appears you have to choose the Export Chat option. Here it will give you the option of «Without Files» or «With Files», so choose the one you want.
- Then you will see a screen with different icons. You will have to select the email you want to use and an email will be generated with an attachment in .txt format, which is where the whole conversation has been saved. To see it you must send it to another of your emails or to the same one and you can open it from this.
You have to take into account that if you are going to include the multimedia files, that is, images and videos, it lets you export the last 10,000 messages. In the event that you do not incorporate them, the last 40,000 messages will be added. This is due to mail size limitations.