There are times of the year when the presence of flies is more common than others, especially in summer after the spring months when it usually rains heavily. However, this year there is one more particularity, and it is the coronavirus. The decrease in activity both in parks and in the streets has made mosquitoes, flies and other types of insects proliferate more.
Flies contaminate the food they land on with their saliva, in addition to defecating normally in the same place where they land. With their legs, they also perch on all kinds of surfaces, they carry all kinds of germs, bacteria, viruses and diseases from one place to another. Therefore, it is very important to end these types of insects, especially at these times when hygiene is so important.
Therefore, we are going to try to give you some home remedies to prevent annoying flies from entering the house:
- Water bags: It is one of the oldest remedies to ward off flies because, do you know that flies hate rainbows? This remedy consists of putting a transparent bag half full of water and hanging from the ceiling. When the sun’s rays pass through the water, it acts as a prism and breaks the light into a rainbow, scaring away flies. This same phenomenon occurs with hung CDs.
- Lemon with cloves: cut a lemon in half and poke a few cooking cloves.
- Apple vinager: flies love strong smells and vinegar is very effective in this regard. With this product we can make a good fly trap. To do this, we will take a plastic bottle cut in half to which we will add a little vinegar and then we will hang it for the flies to come to it. If you can’t stand the smell of vinegar, another option is sugar water.
- Vodka: try putting some Vodka in a container. Its strong smell will scare away flies.
- Aromatic plants: some scents such as lavender, mint, citronella, basil, rosemary, lemon balm or eucalyptus are very effective in eliminating the presence of flies and mosquitoes.
- Light: flies flock to the light. For this reason, you have surely seen in many butchers or fishmongers those mauve outbreaks that attract flies.
In addition to these remedies to scare away flies, remember the importance of not leaving food outdoors and of cleaning all areas of the house well so that there are no food remains. Likewise, try to generate air currents so that they enter and exit easily.
And if you still do not get it, try putting mosquito nets, that way none will enter.