Do you suspect that your dog may have eaten something he shouldn’t have? These are the symptoms of poisoning

As they point out veterinary experts there are many substances that can be toxic to an animal. Some dogs are true «vacuum cleaners» that do not stop putting anything with an edible aspect in their mouth, at home or during the walk, the latter moment in which extreme precautions must be taken.

Medicines for human use, certain foods good for you, but bad for him, some plants or directly a poison that someone, with few scruples, has left anywhere with the risk that this poses for all living beings.

It is important to know the symptoms that poisoning or poisoning can cause in order to go to the vet as soon as possible avoiding damage to the vital organs of the animal or even its death.

Symptoms that should alert you to possible poisoning

Do not let your dog eat anything if you are not sure where it comes from and that it will not cause any harm. With patience, get him used to he has his food in his trough and you should not swallow everything you find. It is not easy, because their natural curiosity leads them to sniff and taste what appears to be good. You have to be attentive to some symptoms that indicate that your pet has been intoxicated:

  • Quick gasps for no apparent reason. Poisonings are not always produced by ingestion. Sometimes, they are the gases that a chemical product can give off, the rubbing of your skin with a certain plant, or the contact with some pesticide which can cause poisoning, more or less serious, by inhalation or through the skin. If it is not hot, your dog does not finish exercising, but panting abnormally, increasing the presence of salivation (drool) can be in this case.
  • Vomiting and / or diarrhea. If your dog vomits after eating something, it is clear that his body is responding to something that has made him sick. You do not have to run to the vet, because it may be a simple embarrassment, but it is important to observe the general condition of your pet. If, in addition to vomiting, she is lethargic or has alarming symptoms such as tremors or seizures … then you should seek veterinary medical help immediately. The same happens with diarrhea. It may be a one-off episode, which is not more serious, but if they recur and are accompanied by the symptoms described, you have to run.
  • Sometimes the symptoms of poisoning do not appear just after ingesting the product or food that has caused it, but it can take hours until the most worrying symptoms appear. See if your pet has a sudden change of character: reluctance, lack of appetite … or on the contrary, an inexplicable hyperactivity. Those changes can also indicate that a toxic substance is affecting your nervous system.
  • Obvious physical changes. Sometimes certain poisons can show easily recognizable symptoms that indicate that you are facing an emergency. Dizziness and disorientation (your dog gets up and for no apparent reason, «stumbles»), change in the color of the mucous membranesdarker, gums and tongue; dilated pupils, partial paralysis… Indicate that the toxic substance is beginning to cause serious harm to your pet.