Are the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England the same?

Regardless of whether we do it well, we usually use the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England, but are they the same? What would be the most appropriate to refer to the inhabitants of the country responsible for Brexit? Each of the terms has a meaning and actually designates a geographical and territorial division aspect. To understand them well, it is relevant to know what each of them refers to.


The United Kingdom, as its name defines well, would be «everything», since it makes reference to a group of countries. It is a designation that includes a political unit made up of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Therefore, the Republic of Ireland is excluded from this designation. This state, made up of four regions, is sovereign and governed under one bicameral parliamentary monarchy, whose capital is London.

The flag, which is called the Union Flag or Union Jack, collects this unit, that of all the kingdoms that make it up, with the exception of Wales, because it is a principality. Thus, the red cross, which is the main one, that of Saint George, It is the English one; the St. Andrew’s cross, the white one, belongs to Scotland; and the irish cross of St. Patrick, is inside the scotch, in red too.

Hard Brexit: How would it affect Spanish and British residents?


Britain, however, is the name of the largest island of the group of islands that make up the British archipelago, that is to say, of the British Isles (Great Britain, Ireland and about 5,000 small islands). The name comes from Britain, since the Britons, a people of Celtic origin, once occupied a large part of this land mass. It is therefore a geographical unit, which is divide into three territories: Scotland, Wales and England.

Of Scotland, the capital is Edinburgh, and they are called Scots. From England, it’s London, and His name is English. While the capital of Wales is Cardiff, and its inhabitants are Welsh.


So England, refers to one of the territories that make up Great Britain, or one of the kingdoms that make up the United Kingdom. In this way, using the word «English» to designate the total of the inhabitants of this group of countries is incorrect. Therefore, at Inhabitants of the whole of the United Kingdom should be called British.