The garments that we use the most with the arrival of winter are undoubtedly those of wool, but keeping them in perfect condition, sometimes, it can bring us down the street of bitterness.
As we say, there are garments, especially those made of wool or cotton, to which they appear so annoying and unsightly «Balls or pellets». These occur because, either we have had that garment for a long time, or because after going through the washing machine, some of the small fibers of the fabric come off and, over time, accumulate on the surface of your garment.
Either by friction or by the passage of time, there are home remedies so that you can keep your favorite sweater for much longer. Take note:
- Razor blade: our first home remedy to remove the balls that form on clothing is to use a razor blade. To do this, stretch the garment out on a flat surface and then pass the blade being very careful not to make a cut. Without a doubt, it is one of the best remedies.
- Hair comb: take a comb that has the prongs very close together and pass it over the affected area. Try not to make your movements too sudden because you could damage your clothes.
- Sponge: gently wipe a green kitchen sponge. It is important that it is well dry. The trick is to rub gently so as not to damage the garment.
- Sandpaper: a wet sandpaper that is not too rough. Spread the clothes and rub the sandpaper over the surface. Always do it in the direction of the fabric. Do not go through the same area too many times because you could end up making a hole in the fabric, therefore, we recommend that you do not use this trick on very delicate fabrics.
Pumice: As with sandpaper, you can use a pumice stone to remove the pellets from clothing.
- Nylon stockings: You will only have to put your hand up to the foot area and rub on the part where there are pellets.
- Scotch tape: Roll duct tape over your hand leaving the adhesive area out. Spread the garment you want to act on and run your hand over it.
Duct tape will also be very handy for removing lint from clothing. In addition, to fight against lint you can always opt for an automatic lint remover or a brush for traditional clothes.
There is a trick to prevent the balls from appearing which consists of placing the new wool garment in the freezer inside an airtight bag. Leave it for a day, it will help the balls take much longer to come out.
In addition to these tricks, we recommend that you:
- Look at the composition of the fabrics before buying. The more different materials that make up the garment, the more likely it is that the dreaded little balls will come out.
- Wash your clothes on a short program for delicates or do it by hand.
- Use fabric softener.
- Do not put many garments in the same wash.
- Sort clothes by fabrics before putting them in the washing machine or use cloth bags.
- Wash your clothes inside out.